Facts About The Census
- The coming census in Australia is an important chance to make sure your interests are on record.
- It is time the Australian community questioned whether they hold religious beliefs or not.
- How you answer this question in the census will influence decisions by Australian governments.
- Special concessions and exemptions for religious organisations are justified on the basis of census data.
- The right of Churches to discriminate against some groups is justified on the basis of census data.
- Planning of educational facilities, aged care and other social services provided by religion-based organisations relies on accurate census data.
- The location of churches buildings; the assignment of chaplains to hospitals, prisons, armed services and universities; the allocation of time on public radio and other media, they all rely on accurate census data.
- Exaggerations and inaccuracies in the census data may lead to religious groups wielding unrepresentative influence within government.
- Religious leaders and lobbyists will use census data to influence the government, even on topics that are not even religious.